Sunday, January 9, 2011

Trying to Make Sense out of the Senseless

"When you look at unbalanced people, how they respond to the vitriol that comes out of certain mouths about tearing down the government. The anger, the hatred, the bigotry that goes on in this country is getting to be outrageous," said the sheriff. "And unfortunately, Arizona I think has become sort of the capital. We have become the mecca for prejudice and bigotry."
-Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupni
Like many of you I have been watching the news coverage from Tucson yesterday and today and trying to make sense of a tragic act that defies explanation. People are ready to pounce and want to be able to point the finger and find blame to help explain away why someone would do something so unthinkable in a way that impacts so many innocent people.

My first reaction to hearing the news was "I knew this would happen". Not that I have some prescient knowledge of future events, but I do consider myself to be someone that is tuned into the political discourse and current events. For several years, especially over the past two, the level of vitriol and blatant metaphors for violence have exploded across the political spectrum. It has become acceptable in some sectors to bolster an argument, drive home a point, or set apart a difference with some blatant reference to violence, toughness, or other inflammatory element.

Two months ago I would have put myself at one end and easily pointed a finger at all the others that I felt were to blame for this. You can run the list in your own head I am sure. But I am not sure that that is productive. Rather than saying you are to blame or I told you so, I find myself wondering how I have contributed to this type of behavior. Have I been that person at times that has contributed to a toxic culture? I have prided myself in the past on being a "die-hard" liberal Democrat and have worked hard to try and advance the causes and purpose of the party. Part of that has been to demonize those that thought differently than me and look to score points through my knowledge or mastery of the argument. I prided myself as being "different" than those on the other end of the spectrum. Not only different, but being "better", setting myself apart....being a "good" white person, a "good" heterosexual, a "good" liberal, etc, etc, etc. In the end this didn't serve any purpose to the greater good than helping me feel better about myself.

I think now about those people spewing that hate and that anger and I try to relate. How has that been me in the past? They aren't at the other end of the spectrum, they are me in a lot ways. What needs to happen to turn the conversation in a positive way that recognizes that we are all people connected and needing to work together for the good of all of us. I am frustrated at all sides of the political argument that has allowed things to fester this long and get so ugly. I watched Bowling For Columbine again this week while I was home with a sick child and saw it through different eyes. I was reminded of it's messages again; that violent images in the media, massive gun ownership, and a history of violence in the founding of our nation are not just uniquely American, but still our rates of gun related murders far out pace anywhere else in the world. It plays on the premise that we are a nation that is grounded and rooted in fear. Fear that is perpetuated in ways that pit us against each other. Whether by race, class, gender, or many other identities, those in power now how to exploit our fears to not only keep their stranglehold on power, but to profit off of it and grow their power, all while keeping the door closed for those that simply want a place at the table and equality.

Liberal/conservative and Democrat/Republican, all sides have folks that work on behalf of their own privilege, that exist as part of the agency to keep their power in place and also oppression. Dylan Ratigan wrote a great piece on Huffington Post yesterday that captured some of the emotions I have been feeling from a justice standpoint on this tragedy. One of the things he wrote that really resonated was:

"It goes without saying that the events of today are a wake-up call for every American, regardless of their position in this society. And as we stand as a group at this violent fork in the road, will those within the power class take this wakeup call to acknowledge the responsibility they have to utilize their influence to serve the interests of increased fairness in America -- even if that requires the suffering of personal losses or losses among your powerbase ?

Understand that whether we like it or not, the personal indulgence of this exploitation by some in order to accumulate wealth and power is done so at a mortal danger to all Americans -- each likely as concerned for the wellbeing of this country as you, the passive class, may believe yourself to be.

America is in a desperate need of engagement by all of its citizens, and we all must understand that the luxury of denial and logical apathy among the passive can no longer be afforded."
I plan to cease the cycle of finger pointing and blaming and continue to look inward to see how I can combat the culture of power that allows groups and individuals to think that using these metaphors of violence and fear are appropriate ways to interact with the other humans we share our world with. Ratigan concludes with a powerful statement:

"While your voice may feel hollow by itself, the possibility of becoming part of a national chorus of awakened can serve as a deeper foundation for the compassion and wisdom to accept our own shortfalls and those of our leadership as we continue the national trip toward a more fair and free America."

2 comments:

  1. Another step toward maturity appears to have taken place - I congratulate you with your reflection on this important issue and the part you (we) all have to play. Your writing is exceptional. I encourage you to continue on this journey and I will look forward to reading your blog. Aunt Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. the 3rd paragraph in Ratigan's quote definitely hits home with me. I need to find more ways to engage myself as well as those around me. Excellent post Greg.

    -Nicki Viso

    ReplyDelete